"The Window Covering Manufacturing Association (WCMA) in collaboration with the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) – have published the latest Child Safety Standards for producing custom window treatments. This newest revision of the voluntary standards must be adhered to by June 1, 2024 – which means we cannot ship out any product that may be in violation of these standards after this date. Unique Wholesale has always adhered to and will continue to adhere to the regulatory standards set forth by the WCMA/ANSI voluntary standard to ensure child safety.
We have gone through these standards in great detail, and we’re members of both the WCMA and the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC), so we know what updates we need to make in order to remain in compliance with these latest child safety standards. Below is an outline of all the changes that we need to make. It is our intent that the below updates will no longer be available to order on May 1, 2024 – as we cannot ship out product on June 1 or later, so taking into account production time, as well as a couple of weeks to be safe – we’re aiming to have the below changes in effect for May 1, 2024.
We will send out a reminder notice as the date gets closer, but we wanted to give you a heads up in case there are any changes you needed to make on your end.
If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you very much.
CHILD SAFETY UPDATES
• The following control and features are no longer allowable and will therefore not be able to be selected when placing an order starting on May 1, 2024:
• Control: Standard Cord Lock
• Tilt: Horizontal Blinds Cord Tilt
• Feature: Top Down Bottom Up (*Cordless Control Top Down Bottom Up on Cellular Shades is still allowable and will remain in the product line.)
• Control: Continuous Loop Control on Horizontal Blinds ONLY (*We do not offer this control type on horizontal blinds anyways, but letting you know that we are not allowed to add it.)
• We are also required to update the Tension Device we use on Continuous Loop Control.
• It looks very similar to our current tension device, and it projects out less, so we believe it’s an upgrade aesthetically as well as safety-wise.
Please know, when it comes to remakes and repairs, if there is an existing customer who had originally purchased a product with one of these features that is now no longer allowed, we are allowed to get the product back and make a repair if that’s possible and ship it back out. However, we would not be able to do a ‘remake’ – meaning, we cannot build a new product that is not in compliance with the new standards and ship it out any time from June 1, 2024 or after.
We will send out a reminder notice as it gets closer to the compliance date. But to reiterate – as of May 1, 2024, you will no longer be able to order product with the noted controls and features that are no longer in compliance with the safety standards. And products in those controls and features that are no longer allowable won’t be able to be shipped out on June 1, 2024 or later.
Thank you for your cooperation with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions."